Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dance

Dance...they say...is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire legalized by music. I say...hmmm....sometimes. But it's sooo much more than that! Dancing isn't just something you do...it's who you are. It's something that flows within you and through you, exposing a feeling...a passion to all who see it. When you're truly in the dance, a certain magic happens...it's like those who witness it almost become a part of it with you. It's a truly amazing feeling to witness and feel just a piece of what the other person is feeling within that dance and even more so when you are the dancer invoking those feelings in others.
In life, we have many experiences. But those experiences mean so much more when there is someone to share it with, whether it's a loved one or a stranger, praising you for what you've accomplished. When someone you've never met comes up to you after a performance or simply goofing off and dancing socially, and they tell you how awesome of a dance that was...that they want to be able to dance just like you....       .......there's no words to describe it. It's a feeling. It's a feeling of joy, excitement, pride, humbleness, and maybe even a little bashfulness (at least for me because it makes me blush). It's something that I never get tired of, and I never will. 
When doing what I love invokes such a reaction out of another, it's such an amazing feeling. I even remember getting that kind of confirmation from a pro-dancer that I'd never actually met, but looked up to. I went to introduce myself and she said that she knew who I was and she loved my dancing. That's an amazing moment I'll never forget. It makes you feel so accomplished; like your hard work is paying off. However, getting that reassurance from a loved one...someone who has seen you grow, in dance or in life, it fills your heart with so much joy and pride and is different from all the other praise you get from others. And it never gets old. I hope I continue to improve my dancing where each new generation of dancers (of all ages) continue to feel what I feel when I'm dancing and want to move forward.

To touch, to move, to inspire...this is the true gift of dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment